The park was created in 1902 and is the only Art Nouveau square in Ljubljana. The plan of the square and park was prepared by architect Maks Fabiani. The turrets on the corner buildings are also his idea. It is bounded on the north by the Palace of Justice, built in 1898-1902 to the plans of the Viennese architect Spindler. In front stands a memorial to the linguist, Fran Miklošič. Miklošič Street runs along the east side, with buildings constructed after the earthquake of 1895, including Grand Hotel Union (1904) where the staff headquarters for the Soča (Isonzo) front resided during the First World War. On the other side of the street is Vurnik's ornamental facade (1922) of the former Co-operative Bank, an attempt to achieve a "national" architectural style.