Krvavška 1b 4207 Cerklje na Gorenjskem
Petrovec's house was a small wooden farmhouse up until the mid 18th century. During this period in Gorensjka old wooden and half wooden houses were disappearing, in fact wood construction was only used by small farmers and cottagers.
At that time Petrovec's house was enlarged, and so became a formidable brick house with a rich facade and frescoes. The house has become an eloquent witness to the lifestyle and mentality of the richer farm people of the time. It reflects the self confidence and large properties of their respective owners. In the middle of the 19th century the house got its present appearance, with 1863 carved above the portal. By then the owners had also opened a restuarant.
After the First World War it was known as 'a restaurant, renowned far and wide, where you can enjoy first class company, selected Bizeljsko and other wines, which has the best reputation, the most respect and the best attendance in town. It has been open since 1863'. It was then owned by Andrej Murnik, born in Adergas, who also worked in the timber trade and was a long time Cerklje mayor.
How the house was furnished
In most of the village restaurants the furnishings in the rooms for guests was very simple. Elongated bench tables normally stood by the windows, with a vessel and basin for washing on the other side of the table.
There was a wall cabinet for spirits, and some of the better-off families such as the Petrovič's also had a built in cabinet for glassware. Nothing was on the walls except for maybe some family photographs, religious pictures and bokhov's corner. The tables were not clothed, and in the corner spittoons were filled with sawdust or sand. Windows were covered only in the evening. More upmarket restaurants usually had two rooms, one for daily visitors and a special room for more guests, usually only in the evening or on Sundays.
This space was far more distinguished with beautiful accessories, curtains on the windows and printed pictures of hunting and other scenes on the walls. There was also a sideboard for glassware, and in front of it a table or bar for drink refills. The cabinet for glassware, tablecloths and other fine items were a clear sign of a better tavern.
In the museum's ethnological collection articles are presented which relate to catering, such as the equipment of these rooms and devices used for the preparation of food and drinks. The exhibits are completely from private collections. http://www.tic-cerklje.si/TIC_EN,,.htm
Krvavška cesta 1b 4207 Cerklje
Cerklje na Gorenjskem
Tel. : ++386 4 281 58 22
Fax : ++386 4 281 58 22
Web site : www.tourism-cerklje.si
Free of charge
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 46,254
GPS Easting (E) : 14,4872