Tourist Information Center:TIC Radovljica
Linhartov trg 9
++386 4 531 51 12
beside a river; in the countryside
The farming village of Otoče, which is home to the Church of St Anthony of the Desert, is situated on the slopes of the uplands. The railway station on the Ljubljana–Jesenice route serves as a starting point for a number of trips. From here, you can set out on explorations of the surroundings on foot or by bike.
The importance of the village of Otoče increased dramatically with the arrival of the railway in 1874. Originally, the trains in Otoče stopped at a small wooden railway station, but the development of the pilgrimage centre in the village of Brezje soon required a larger version, as Otoče-Brezje railway station was closest to the renowned pilgrimage church.
In 1939, a new, larger station was built – the best equipped at that time. Its architecture is reminiscent of Jože Plečnik's works. Next to it stood a statue of Mary, welcoming pilgrims from atop a tall column; after World War II, the statue was moved to Brezje, but since 2009, the park adjacent to the station has been adorned by a replica.