Please, evaluate the offer:

Movraž

InfoTownsAccommodationAttractionsActivitiesEventsFood & WineMore
Print Add to travel planner
Tourist Information Center:Tic Koper
Titov trg 3, 6000 Koper
++386 5 664 64 03
202 m
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Movraž is a clustered village in the northwest of Movraška vala. In the northeast, it is surrounded by the Rakitovec-Movraž Plateau with the Kuk (498 m), Veliki Gradež (507 m) and Stražnica above Dvori (403 m) peaks. In the southeast, Movraška vala is closed by the oblong Karst edge with the hills of Krog above Mlini, Veliki Badin (359 m), Gradež above Sočerga (413 m), Vela Griža or Lukinski hrib (417 m) and Brgod (323 m). The names of the peaks, such as Veliki Gradež on the plateau and Gradec above Sočerga, bear testimony to the existence of hill forts (Sl. gradišče) and the early settlement of the broader area of Movraška vala (7th century). The deed of donation issued by the Emperor Conrad II in 1035 awarded Movraž (Vallem Mauriacam) to the Koper Commune. At the time of the Venetian Republic, Movraž was a feudal estate owned by the Koper nobility, the Sabini, Verzi, Vida, Gravisi and Gavardo families. The broader area of Movraž (Valmorasa) played an important role as the frontier zone of the Koper Commune during the time of the Ottoman invasions at the end of the 15th century, the Austro-Venetian wars in the first half of the 16th century and the Uskok War (1615-1617). Movraž was therefore fortified with a defence tower (torre de Valmorasa) above the village. Its remains are no longer evident however, only the field name of Zagrad immediately above the village bears testimony to its previous existence. The fortifications were used to control the road and prevent smuggling, most commonly of oil, wine and salt that Venetian subjects drove to frontier warehouses and bartered directly with freighters from Carniola (Cranzi). At the time, the Movraž village commune with the nearby hamlets of Dvori and Trebeše was part of the Sočerga parish, as reported by Paolo Naldini. As Naldini says in his Corografia Ecclesiastica from 1700, there were four churches in the village: one dedicated to St. Peter, one to St. George, one to St. Mary and one to St. Catherine. All four churches had simple exteriors, similar shapes and modest ornaments. In the 19th century, Movraž, together with Sočerga and Rakitovec, was part of the Buzet District in administrative terms and the rapid economic development of the Movraž area was connected with the development of Trieste. There were important freight routes from Čičarija to Koper and Trieste that led across this territory and were used to transport hay, firewood, charcoal and ewe’s milk cheese. The economic development facilitated a national awakening and consequently a richer social life and livelier cultural pulse. The beginnings of the Movraž school date back to 1874, while they set up a new school in Movraž in 1907, teaching in Slovene and covering the territory of the Movraž tax municipality with the towns and villages from Smokvica to Dvori. It operated until 1924. Because of the strong national liberation movement in this territory, the German offensive launched in October of 1943 affected Movraž and the nearby villages, burning them and killing their inhabitants. After the liberation, or once the Treaty of Peace with Italy came into effect in 1947, the territory of Movraž was assigned to the Koper District or the B Zone of the Free Territory of Trieste. After the London Memorandum in 1954, which finally determined the borders, it was again part of Slovenia. 


GPS Northing (N) : 45,4769 
GPS Easting (E) : 13,917 
Photos
Administrator : Turistično informacijski center Koper | ++386 5 664 64 03 | | last modified: 09/02/2012
View on map
GPS N: 45,4769
E: 13,917
Destination: Eurobasket 2013
Place: Movraž

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year

Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)/room
Show on Google Maps
Advanced search
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more