Tourist Information Center:TIC Brda
Grajska cesta 10
+ 386 (0)5 395 95 94
Height above sea level
Biljana is one of the most beautiful Brda villages, recognizable from afar by its church with a typical Aquileia-type bell tower in the village center. The bell tower was rebuilt at the end of 19th century by Valentin Vuga, a mason master from Kozana who even depicted himself on the front stone on the bell tower. The Parish Church of St. Michael which is still Gothic in its basic appearance was mentioned for the first time in old scripts from 1233. The star-arched presbytery was built in 1534, while the church itself is adorned by Baroque furnishing. The walls were painted around 1900 by the famous painter Clemente del Neri, while Christ's Resurrection, a wooden sculpture from the first half of 16th century, is a carving work of the South Tirol workshop. Murals behind the side altar prove that the initial church was of the same size and several times larger than other churches in this area. Namely, it had a special function of ancient parish for the major part of the Brda region.
Dorišče with a small tower, firing slits and portals, where the lords of Biljana lived in 13th century, is an interesting building. At the end of 15th century it became property of the Orson family and later it came into hands of the Edling nobles of Gorizia and the lords of Dornberk. Before World War I Austrian army was located in the building and a military hospital was there during the war. Biljana villagers are proud of Kožlin brothers due to their contribution in music (especially singing) in the second half of 19th century and of the physician Lojze Simoniti (1901-1957). The village is also famous for the well-known Fourth Biljana Meeting in 1869.
For some time, the Biljana church attracted curious visitors who came to see "the appearance" in the bell tower - in a game of light and shadow some people claimed to have seen a silhouette of the Mother of God.