Height above sea level
in the countryside
Around the year 1200 the area was in property of the counts of Gorizia and is inscribed as Tulmascowiz in the land register. During the Second World War, the villagers were deported to Bavaria, while the German soldiers burnt the village to the ground. The village centre exhibits several interesting features, for example a pil from 1937, a monument to those who perished during the fights for national liberation and on house number 6, there is a memorial plaque dedicated to the local hero Anton Šibelj – Stjenka (1914 – 1945), after whom the elementary school in Komen bares its name. A path of pilgrimage led through Tomačevljani to the church of the Virgin Mary from Obršljan, which stands on a small hill near the village. A strolling path has also been arranged, taking the visitors among the pine forest to hill Zajčevica (415 m) to see an abandoned quarry (also known as java), a cave for slaking lime (japlenca), several precipices, dry walls and much more.