Tourist Information Center
05 769 00 56
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Komen with the small village of Divči and the hamlet of Jablanec lies in the centre of the Komen Karst and also represents the administrative and economic centre of the area. Divči lies 300 metres to the East of Komen, and the hamlet of Jablanec is 1 kilometre to the north of Komen. Komen is 8 kilometres away from Štanjel.
According to historical references, the Parish of Komen, and consequently its village, are mentioned for the first time in 1247. As an important administrative, economic, and cultural centre, Komen began to flourish as early as the end of the 19th century, when crafts, a network of inns, shops and administrative functions began to emerge. The village also had a palace of justice, notary, tax office, police station and even a prison. The village became famous in the period of Italian rule as an important tourist centre where the inhabitants of Trieste, Monfalcone and even Venice came for their holidays and Sunday excursions. Because of its favourable climatic conditions the village became an important treatment centre giving shelter to two colonies for children and to the centre for lung illnesses and the X-ray station. The village suffered great atrocities during World War I. The military railway was also run through the village. The situation was even worse during World War II. On 15 February 1944 the village was burnt down and its inhabitants were deported to Germany. During the post-war renovation of the village Komen gradually began to develop into the economic, administrative and cultural centre of the Komen Karst.
According to oral tradition, the village of Divči got its name after the farmer Divkač who owned extensive amounts of land and sheep. After his death, around 1700, other people began to build their houses here and this is how the settlement emerged. It was originally called Rožce and was later named after the former owner. Up until World War II it was part of Komen, today it is an independent settlement.
Historical data about the hamlet of Jablanec, which today has only three homesteads, is not available. According to several sources the first settlement called Stari Jablanec was slightly further away from today’s homesteads. Apparently it was later either abandoned or burnt down.
Points of distinction
: The Parish Church of St. George
on a small elevation in the centre of the village. In the past, a small Gothic parish church stood here. Because it was too small, it was demolished and in 1768, a new Baroque church was built. An Aquileia-type belltower stands next to the church. Inside the main altar from 1773 is dedicated to the village patron saint, St. George. In addition to the main altar, the church has four side altars. The church was painted by C. del Neri in 1901 and the lunetas above the confessionals were done by Tone Kralj.
The old school on the main square below the church was built in 1896. Until 1994 it served as the school but today it provides a space for local cultural and artistic societies.
The main square with cultural centre and a monument dedicated to those who fell serving in the Resistance Movement (NOB) and those who died in exile, built in the 1950s. On the facade of the cultural centre are several commemorative plaques dedicated to many important people.
Former Villa Storici – today's health centre not far from the parish church, along the road which leads to the nearby forest of Cirje. Together with the surrounding park it was designed in 1934 by Max Fabiani for the then Komen physician Danilo Storič (Storici). According to oral tradition it was built to honour the former Castle of Komen, owned by Johanes Štolfa who lived in this place. The villa represents high-quality modernism from the pre-World War II period.
The village cemetery in the nearby forest of Cirje. A number of villagers rest here, including the forester and men responsible for the reforestation of the Karst, Anton Mrak and Avgust Kofol, and the priest, Msg. Viktor Kos.
The Cirje Forest Park – forest footpath and educational trail. Along the path you will learn about different species of trees and be able to rest on its benches. The path takes you to the monument dedicated to the man who reforested the surroundings of Komen, Avgust Kofol, then on to two sinkhole ponds (Cirje and Kaluže in Divči), which lie on the other side of the regional Komen-Štanjel road.
The Austro-Hungarian military cemetery in the Forest of Draga. From Cirje the road leads past a roadside religious symbol to the Forest of Draga, where there are the remains of the cemetery of World War I.
The Luže pond – an ancient reservoir in the lower part of the village, along the local road which runs between Komen and Volčji Grad. Here you can rest and enjoy the magnificent view of Komen and its surroundings.
Roadside shrines which are situated by the road from Divče to St. Mary of Oberšljan, in the park Cirje by the local cemetery and in the lower village at the house number 1b. Famous citizen
: VIKTOR KOS (1899 Podmelc – 1987 Šempeter pri Gorici, buried in Komen). From 1932 to 1971 he was the Dean of Komen. When Komen was burnt down, he and the chaplain MIRKO RENER
(1919 Štjak – 1993 Magdeburg, Germany) voluntarily joined the villagers in exile to Germany and remained at their sides in times of trouble. Both priests have entered the villagers’ hearts as unforgettable spiritual guides who did not abandon them even in the most tragic moments of the violence of war.
KONRAD GLUŠIČ (Komen 1527 – 1578 Gornji Grad) Priest of Komen (1556-1570,71) where he established a hospital for the poor and was also the Sixth Bishop of Ljubljana (1570 - 1578).
JUST GODNIČ (Komen 1908 – 1990 Kranj, buried in Sveto) an active TIGR-member, from the beginning of the 1930s he was intensely involved in underground movements. In 1936 he was one of the signatories of the contract between the TIGR and the Italian Communist Party.
ALBERT VRABEC - EDEN (Komen 1890 – 1944 Flossenburg, Germany) carpenter, organizer and member of the regional leadership of the Italian Communist Party. Fighter against fascism in both his homeland and abroad.
ALOJZ ŠTREKELJ (Komen 1857 – 1939 Biograd in Croatia) expert agricultural advisor in winegrowing. He worked in Istria, Dalmatia, and Hercegovina and was highly successful at eliminating vine louse and the replantation of vineyards. In 1901 he was elected to the Gorica Regional Assembly and in 1907 he became a member of the National Assembly in Vienna.
JOSIP ŠTREKELJ (Komen 1868 – 1955 Ljubljana) teacher of wine- and fruit-growing in Komen, where he established a school of forestry, a vine plantation, a district fruit-growing society, savings and loan banks, an insurance company to insure cattle, a reading society and the Sokol Gymnastic Society. He was also a member of the Gorica Regional Assembly. He was one of the most active people in the fields of fruit-growing and gardening in Slovenia.
AVGUST KAFOL (1882 Čepovan – 1955 Ljubljana, buried in Komen) forester and agricultural expert. He was a forester in Komen for many years and was responsible for the forestation of the Karst. He successfully led the Komen forestry plantation until his death in 1955. He played an important role in the development of fruit-growing and cattle-breeding in the Karst. Since 1957 his monument has stood in Cirje (a place in Komen), created by the sculptor I. Sajevec.
: Komen can be reached by following the regional road from Nova Gorica, past Miren and Kostanjevica na Krasu and from Branik. From Sežana you can reach Komen from Dutovlje or Štanjel. From Italy you have to go past Aurisina/Nabrežina and past the Gorjansko border crossing. From Monfalcone you go through the Klariči border crossing. The village has bus connections to Sežana, Štanjel and Nova Gorica. The local road leads to Divči which branches off the Komen-Štanjel regional road by the Komen primary school. From Divči an unsurfaced road leads to the pilgrimage church of St. Mary of Obršljan and further to Tomačevica. Jablanec can be reached by following a side road which branches off the Komen-Škrbina local road 500 metres from Komen.
GPS Northing (N) : 45,8167
GPS Easting (E) : 13,7448