Tourist Information Center:TIC Nova Gorica
Delpinova 18 b, 5000 Nova Gorica
+386 5 330 46 00
The first records of “Sannt Michel” date back as far as 1471. Later, in 1485, it was mentioned in the Rihemberk Register of land properties. The torrential stream of Lijak flows on its western side. The name (the Lijak stream and plain – “aput Liach”) is found in a document dated 1200 in which the estates of the Gorizia counts are listed. Their coat-of-arms can still be seen on the central vault stone of St Michael’s church in Šmihel.
A story tells that at that time there was a mansion standing on the banks of Lijak stream. There are also records of the life of
peasants – villeins doing soccage-service on this estate at the time.