Please, evaluate the offer:

Štanjel (Karst)

Info TownsAccommodationAttractionsActivitiesEventsFood & WineMore
Tourist Information Center
TIC Štanjel
Štanjel 1a
++386 5 769 00 56
363 m
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Healthy climate
Stanjel – the jewel of the Karst region
The Romans turned the top of the hill into an ancient fort, in the Middle Ages the village expanded over the hill, and later on the settlement was enclosed by defence walls to protect it against Turks invasions. 
 However, the most dominant features of the village are the Castle and the Church of Saint Daniel, which make Stanjel so remarkable. While walking through the narrow streets, the houses built in stone are telling you the story of stonemasons, who portrayed their experience of the Karst through stone. The streets end up in small squares, which were once popular meeting places for the youth and elderly. 
Late Gothic St. Danijel's church was built in the second half of 15th century. Later, in the 17th century, particularly outstanding church tower was built. In its interior there is very interesting marble slab on the high-altar showing the image of the castle at the end of the 17th century. However parish Saint Daniel's church has two succoursal churches: The St. Gregory church and the church of St. Joseph.
  Badly damaged during the Second World War, the part of the castle has been restored. The oldest remains of the castle reach back into the Middle Ages. In that time the castle was owned by the Counts of Gorica, then by the Cobenzls, and later on the ownership passed on to many others. In the 17th century it was rebuilt into a  renaissance and baroque residence.
 The Karst people always had to cope with the problem of the shortage of drinking water. A proof for that is also Stanjel with its numerous stone wells built in the squares. Very interesting is also the Romanic or Karst House with its ethnological collection. 
 You can experience the Karst from a different perspective in the renovated part of the castle. The castle's halls, where you can meet bridegrooms and brides on Saturdays, host a collection of the recognized painter and graphic Lojze Spacal. 
 While walking through the streets, you are also invited to visit the gallery in the exhibition tower with the gateway to Kobdilj and the small gifts’ shop. A very interesting passage from the stone village to the green surroundings is represented by Ferrari's Garden, a unique masterpiece of the architect Max Fabiani. You can continue your walk from Ferrari's Garden to Kobdilj on a path named after Max Fabiani, discovering the beauty of green surroundings. 
Tower with gateway to Kobdilj became part of the Villa Ferrari in 1928. Enrico Ferrari was a well-known doctor from Italy, Trieste.  There was a dining room on the first floor and a beautiful terrace on the roof. In 1944 the tower was half ruined. It has been restored and today there is a gallery in it with exhibitions and a souvenir shop on the ground floor.

Štanjel (360°)


Points of distinction :  - The Castle of Štanjel
 - Gallery of Lojzeta Spacala (in the Castle)
 - Late ghotic church of st. Daniels with its tipical bell-tower from 1609
 - Tower with gateway to Kobdilj with a Gallery
 - Ferrari's Garden 
Famous citizen : MAX FABIANI (Kodbilj 1865 - 1962 Gorizia/Gorica). Architect, urban planner, professor, writer of technical and literary texts, inventor and mayor of Štanjel. Max Fabiani was born in Kobdilj. Besides Jože Plečnik and J. Vurnik, Max Fabiani was one of the founders of Slovene architecture and urbanism. As an architect and urbanist he worked in the areas of the former Habsburg Monarchy, from Poland to the Czech Republic and to the Gulf of Trieste. He was professor at Vienna Polytechnic Institute and he was one of the most important co-creators of the Vienna Secession. In Vienna, he is best known for his buildings Uranija, Artaria, Portois & Fix and many more. He was also the main designer of Hribar’s Ljubljana after the earthquake. As an urbanist and architect, he contributed to the building of Hribar’s house (Hribarjeva hiša), Krisper’s house (Krisperijeva hiša) and various other buildings. His Report of the plan of the common regulation of the state capital city of Ljubljana (Poročilo k načrtu občne regulacije deželnega stolnega mesta Ljubljane) published in 1895, was the first technical publication on architecture written in Slovene. In 1902 the University of Vienna honoured him with a doctoral degree for his achievement in urbanism. This was the first time that a doctorate had been awarded in this field. After World War I he returned to Gorizia, where he was responsible for the post-war reconstruction of the villages between Bovec and the sea which were damaged during the Isonzo Front. Later, he returned to Kobdilj. Mayor of Štanjel From the year 1935 onwards, he was Mayor of Štanjel. He restituted a former central role to the village by his carefully studied and still visible interventions. Fabiani achieved that the Štanjel castle passed under Italian State property and during the 1930s he converted it into multipurpose center—one of the first project of this kind, that included the municipality seat, school, kindergarten, cinema, clinic and other public spaces. The most famous Fabiani's legacy in Štanjel is the Ferrari Garden, created as an addition to the Ferrari Villa – a group of buildings along the former eastern wall that were renovated for Fabiani's nephew Enrico Ferrari. This intervention gave a completely new content to the medieval Štanjel, without compromising its original identity. In Štanjel, Fabiani reconstructed the Entrance Tower, the staircase and the square with a platform between the castle and the church. He designed the renovation of the church and the bell tower. He renovated the Romanic House with the village well, where the ethnological collection of Štanjel is housed. He designed the entrance to the World War I Military Cemetery and transformed a nearby building from a former military facility into Hotel Miramonti. His last intervention in Štanjel, planned after the World War I, was the Casa del Fascio from 1938, later the House of Cooperatives. In this period, Fabiani renewed one of the houses in Kobdilj (Villa Max) that shared with his brother. After World War II he lived in Gorizia where he died and was also buried. His remains were brought to the tomb of the Fabiani family vault at Kobdilj cemetery in 1984. He was still very active as an architect, urbanist, and writer until the end of his life. As an expert, he was given several awards: the Knight’s Order of Franz Joseph, the Knight’s Order of the Prussian Eagle, the Knight’s Order of the Red Eagle, Knight of the Honour Legion, Commender of the Order of St. Stanislav, war medals, the Knight’s Order of the Italian Crown, the Knight’s Order of the Merits of Vatican, Gran Prix and gold medal for the best appartment and commercial house in Vienna in the years 1911/12 and a Golden Doctorate in Vienna in 1952. Max Fabiani is a personality of European importance: he is part of Austrian, Italian and Slovene culture. He entered Slovene history books as the designer of many famous buildings, such as Slovenski Narodni Dom (Slovene National Centre) in Trieste, which unfortunately was burnt down in 1920, Trgovski dom (Commercial House) in Gorizia, Jakopičev pavilijon (the Jakopič Pavillion) in Ljubljana (demolished in the 1960s), and Dekliški Licej Mladika (Girl’s Secondary School Mladika) in Ljubljana. In addition, streets in Vienna, Ljubljana, Trieste and Gorizia are named after him. In Gorizia, the Secondary School of Art is dedicated to him. The Secondary School for Geometers in Trieste is also named after him. A bronze bust of him was erected in the atrium of the Technical University of Vienna and in Štanjel a footpath also carries his name. 

Automobiles : Ob cesti Sežana - Nova Gorica, izstopna postaja iz avtoceste: Senožeče, pred naseljem Štorje: desno (za vasi Kazlje, Dobravlje...)
oddaljenost: Sežana: 17 km
                     Nova Gorica: 28 km
                     Ljubljana: 80 km
                     Trst: 20 km
Railway : Železniška postaja: Štanjel (proga: Sežana - Nova Gorica) 
Bus : Avtobusna postaja Štanjel 

Post Office : 6222 Štanjel 
Štanjel 99a 
++386 5 769 01 00 
Bus station : Štanjel 
Railway station : Štanjel 
Kobdilj 2 
++386 5 296 33 55 
Tourist association : TD Štanjel 
Grad Štanjel 
++386 5 769 01 97 
GPS Northing (N) : 45,8234 
GPS Easting (E) : 13,8457 
View on map

Book & Buy

Age of children (at arrival)

Slovenia on social networks



Administrator : Občina Komen - TIC Štanjel | ++386 5 769 00 56 |
Report an error/send comment
Report an error/send comment


The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more