Tourist Information Center:Slovenj Gradec Tourist Information Center
Glavni trg 24
++386 2 881 21 16; ++386 51 320 978; F:++386 2 881 21 17
Height above sea level
The name of the town was first mentioned in 1091. The town developed between Mount Uršlja gora and the western Pohorje mountain range at the confluence of the Mislinja and Suhodolnica rivers. Its history is rich and linked with that of Stari trg where Roman settlement of Colatio was built.
The town was founded by the Counts of Andechs and then experienced turbulent centuries passing from one owner to another while its crafts and commerce flourished. With the granting of city rights, Slovenj Gradec acquired walls, fair privileges, a court, and its own mint. Commerce and crafts were joined by the arts. Today's Slovenj Gradec continues the tradition of the past; numerous exhibitions and events have brought international fame, and in 1989, the town was given the honorary title of Peace Mesenger City. Slovenj Gradec – Old City Core
The old city core of Slovenj Gradec has preserved its original outline, which today makes it an important monument of city planning. Of special interest are the former City Hall housing the Koroška Art Gallery and the Koroška Regional Museum, the Church of Sv. Elizabeta from 1251, the birth house of composer Hugo Wolf, Rotenturn Manor, the Soklič Museum, and the Church of Sv. Duh.
Points of distinction : Where it has retained its original plan, the old town core is a significant urban monument. In the Middle Ages, the old city was walled and traces of the wall can still be seen along Meškova, Ozka, and Cankarjeva streets. The renovated Rotenturn Mansion sprang from the former Schulthausezinger Tower. The town lies at the junction of several roads between Mount Uršlja gora and the Pohorje mountain range that offer travellers to the area unspoiled nature and numerous mysteries worth discovering.
Famous citizen : Karel Pečko, painter
Jože Tisnikar, painter
Franc Berneker, sculptor
Hugo Wolf, composer
Post Office : Slovenj Gradec
GPS Northing (N) : 46,509
GPS Easting (E) : 15,0793